SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#299511 - 11/18/10 11:57 AM New original, "Fly" (need feedback)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I spent a few days with a friend who was on her deathbed. One of the things I told her (she was barely coherent) was that I had a new guitar waiting on me when I returned home from seeing her. She is a songwriter friend of mine. When I returned home, knowing it was the last time I would see her, that was tough. But it got worse. I had a biz meeting at 10am next day. Long story short is that I found out that the man I was to meet... his wife died and the funeral was at 10am! So, I barely made the gravesite service.

My songwriter friend was only 50 and the other friend was 58! Unreal. I turned 57 during all of this.

While at his home after the funeral, I got a phone call that my friend whom I had visited... had died. That night, night before last, I awoke at 3am and wrote this song. Today, I recorded it with the right-out-of-the-box Silver Creek T-160 (mahogany). It needs the action lowered but sounds pretty good to me. I ordered a T-170 (rosewood) and will compare the two and choose one.

If anyone can give a comment about this song, it's appreciated. I need feedback before/if I send it to the families. Anything you like or anything that bugs you, let me know. Especially... the vocal step-up that I do on the word "fly," is that okay with you... good / bad?

I wrote this such that it can hopefully give some people some hope about what happens upon "lights out."

I have this arranged on the Audya, and WOW, it is KILLER, can't wait to record it. It becomes a very different song, I like it sparse as this is, and also like the full arrangement... organ sounds awesome on this.
http://www.ttmbandroom.com/index.php?t=audio_player&song_id=1168

#299512 - 11/18/10 01:07 PM Re: New original, "Fly" (need feedback)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Beautiful song Bill. I love it. Can't wait to hear it on the Audya.

Don

#299513 - 11/18/10 06:08 PM Re: New original, "Fly" (need feedback)
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Don. The lyrics are very simplistic, the vocals are crisp and clean, and as usual, the pickin' is perfect for the song.

Thanks Bill,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#299514 - 11/18/10 08:16 PM Re: New original, "Fly" (need feedback)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Can't wait to hear it on the Audya.

Wow, and I thought that 'was' the Audya!
Seriously though Bill, I really enjoyed your heartfelt moving tribute to your friend. Ok, can't wait to hear it on the Audya now. - Scott

#299515 - 11/19/10 11:08 AM Re: New original, "Fly" (need feedback)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Another great job, Bill ... sorry for the pain it took to create it ...
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online